Lunes, Agosto 18, 2014

An Afternoon at the Rehearsal Hall with George Birkadze and Ballet Philippines


At my present age, dancing is not an easy feat.  Not that my bones are groaning and stiff but rather one has to be careful of the muscles.  For any dancers, torn ligaments and muscles are the worst scenario there is.

It was plain déjà vu for me when I attended the open media dance rehearsal session of Ballet Philippines to introduce a guest choreographer, George Birkadze.  Déjà vu because I do remember the days when I was a theater practitioner; those moments of rehearsals and perspiration pouring out of your body just to perfect one’s craft.  Add to that my years of dancing and creating small dance pieces when I was past college.  Did I have formal training in dance?  None what so ever; I came from a middle class family and formal classes are expensive during my time.  My dancing really started in my college years when I joined the dance guild in school.  How I wish to be a ballet dancer then and that resulted to my creations of interpretative dance pieces set in both classical and modern moves.

When I went to the rehearsal area of the CCP, the very first thing I noticed was the absence of network signal in that spot.  How can do IG if there is no signal?  Looking around, I saw some dancers on the mat already doing some stretches and some people seated by the piano.  I decided to approach those by the piano.  There were 2 females and a guy by the said area.  I never really got a look of the guy but I simply assumed he is one of the dancers trying to have a “power nap”, so I asked the ladies instead whether they have seen my inviter/host.  Thank God they were aware of the event that time that they simply told me to have a seat.  The guy never moved.  He was simply lying on the sofa.  I simply saw the pants leg and the shoes. Was I offended?  No, I was not, because it is something that I am familiar with during my time as a dancer.  You try and grab some shut-eye whenever possible.  I just hope he gets that power nap that he needs before rehearsal start.

While waiting for our host, I was able to take some shots of those doing their warm-ups already.  But these were not local dancers but foreigners.  I told myself:  “They could be guest dancers.  Since we are to meet a guest choreographer, why not have guest dancers too.” Boy was I right and wrong at the same time.  They are guest alright, but not just dancers.  They were invited to perform that day and for people to know their cause and purpose.  They are called Project Philippines.  (To know more about Project Philippines, visit there site: www.projectphilippines.org)


People started coming in.  Company dancers, invited media and social media people, administration of BP; but where is the guest choreographer?  Then I saw this tall, muscular lean, attractive guy standing by the dancer’s rehearsal bar area.  Can it be him?  I don’t know.  Wait!  That pants and shoes . . . looks familiar . . . OML!  He was the one whom I thought was trying to get a power nap by the piano area minutes ago.

As the open media rehearsal afternoon started, Toots Tolentino (BP’s PR) and Paul Alexander Morales (BP’s Artistic Director) introduced the guest choreographer – George Birkadze, dance enthusiast – Norman Turner and Project Philippines.  That afternoon, we were treated to some artistic pieces from Project Philippines and a preview to George Birkadze’s work to be shown at the Blue Moon Gala in September 26 and 27.  I am not an expert in dance but I was able to see the different approach made by BP’s lead dancers in the “R/J” piece.  One pair was dramatic, the other was playful, when asked about the 3rd pair’s approach George response was:  “ . . .I would say determination. Much maturity there.  Let us say a fusion of both and then just finale, a clash of different means.”

During my interview spot with George, I just can’t help myself and ask him of his inspiration in giving a twist to a classic piece.  His response was: “My dad always says – if you have to do something that was done before, you have to make it better or you have to make different.  No one needs the same or worst.   It was a funny story because someone needs in one gala, they needed Romeo and Juliet and they cannot get the rights from the choreographer and they asked me: “George, do you think you can do Romeo and Juliet?” And they were actually asking me the balcony scene.  I asked: “What do you mean guys, do you want it classical?  I can do different.  I do not want to repeat something that is all ready beautiful and that is how it came. As you can see I didn’t kill Juliet.  She just wakes up right after he dies. So that I would say is my little point of difference.  I let you decide what will happen next.”

Watching him coach some of the members of Ballet Philippines, George Birkadze is one individual truly dedicated to his craft.  He doesn’t simply explain things to his dancers but also shows it.  He gives praises to people when it is due and knows when to push his dancers.  I cannot wait to see how his works would be like in full costumes and onstage.

Such moment needs to come to an end, for BP is one busy hive that day.  Rehearsals and preparations for their U.S. tour needs to be made and for their sapphire season show, which means more rehearsals.

It was truly an afternoon of visual delight and dreams.  To more productions of Ballet Philippines!  To people true to their craft and dreams!  To afternoons full of wonders!  May we dance in moonlight paths!


As I stare in a starless night sky
I think of you in your glory.
Your grace and wit as you cut the space
And time of life.
And I smile.
Let us dance in moonlit path.

-AAAlesna

Photos:
(All photos used for this article were personally taken by me during the open media afternoon rehearsals of Ballet Philippines)

George Birkadze during class:





























Ballet Philippines Rehearsal Preview of R/J and Farandole


















George Birkadze with the Ballet Philippine


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento