Miyerkules, Mayo 28, 2014

5 years and 11 months . . .a short story

I started working with this company on the last day of June 2008.  Five (5) years and 11 months later, I find myself out in the market and seeking a new company.  I never thought I'll be in this situation.  Honestly, I thought I'll grow old with this company and do numerous things with and for them.  Here I am, trying my marketability at this day and age.

Five years ago, I was asking myself as to what am I doing here.  This is a company known to have technical people or those knowledgeable in the computer field and I am not one of them.  Yes, I know MS Word and that's it.  I don't know Excel.  What I know then was the ancestor of Excel which was Lotus123.  I am not joking when I say that.  I am the least techqie person there is.

My first  year was a joke! A joke because I was still trying to understand Excel, macro and my first PP was horrendeous, according to my onshore lead.  My saving grace, a good attendance record, perciverance and a bubbly attitude (most of the time).  I cried numerous times.  Cried because of frustration and partly to shame.  Even if I was doing a report for quite a time, I still made errors that can be avoided if I was better.  That was how my first year was.  Yes, I was regularized despite my shortcomings.

6 months after my 1st yr anniversary, I was placed in a floating status because the project that we were handling at that time has pulled out and the group needs to shrink in size. 10 working days in floating status, I received a call to attend to an interview for a post in our Finance and Accounting BPO tower.  I accepted and attended the request and next thing I knew, I was accepted into the project already.  My question at that time: "What am I going to do in a F&A project? I am a Mass Comm grad, for godness sake!".

In the span of 3 years and so months in that F&A project, I find myself recognized as the 1st Individual Contributor, started a training program for the Accounts Payable tower of my project, started a training program for our Business Support Team, get certified as a trainer for the company, have done various events both on project-wide and tower-wide scenario and has been a resource/inspirational speaker for a good number of new joiners session.

As a person, I created new bridges, burned some also and left some to simply disappear. I had losses and gains in the process.  Created friendship and met people who doesn't like my guts.  Some would say that I am hard to manage but in reality, and this is also based on a feedback from one of my manager, I am quite easy to handle.  Simply say what is needed and if I have questions, I will ask. If none, then end of discussion.  I guess it was also my downfall if I ask things.  I tend to ask even the most simple thought just to be sure of things.  For some, it is a question of their credibility.

What I find "funny" is the fact that due to my level everything is documented while those that are below me get to go without documentation thus making them safe from further action.  That is why I decided to spread my wings and search.  I don't know where I will be next but all I know for now is that I need to search and search fast for a new company.

I learned my lesson and here I am searching for a new company to call home once more.  It is not easy but definitely something that I will overcome and be the best their is again.  Thank you for the time and opportunities given.  Like what is said in some reading material about people leaving a company, it is not the organization but the people in it.


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento