Huwebes, Disyembre 31, 2015

The BURGER GEEK Experience . . . Bummer

If someone will ask me if I have encountered a food establishment that is consistent is what they do, then I may say Burger Geek is one consistently inconsistent.  Some may say that I am mean when I say this since I encountered them during their so long soft-opening stage but having more than 2 strikes in one seating spells consistently inconsistent.


Let me rundown all the inconsistencies that were shown that day.

The A/C story
It was a sunny day and even if it was December already, the heat will definitely get you.  When I stepped into the store, I noticed two A/C units on the wall but one was closed.  Since they did mention that they were still in the soft-opening stage, I simply assumed that it was part of an expense cutting technique.  Just to overhear later that there were some discussion with the electrical crew of the place already and that the unit was still not working. Then the other person said that you can have the unit changed since it was still under warranty.  (How long were you in soft-opening stage already; months?)


The Ordering Scenario
The staff was cordial during the whole order taking scene but being cordial is not enough, you need to be attentive and I can be the “other” party in a group if I want to.  She was at the end of the table while I was at the other end besides the wall.  She was able to get all the orders mentioned by the other people in the group without asking for mine even if I was holding a menu card.  After repeating their orders, she walked going to the kitchen to file their orders.  It was a companion of mine who casually asked me if I filled for my order already and I said no.  They have to call her again to take my order. (Never assume that the order given is for the whole group.  Inquire and do those extra steps of making your customer feel that they belong to the place.)   

The Milkshake story
I ordered for salted caramel while my companion ordered for strawberry milkshake while the rest simply went for juice and sodas.  When the drinks arrived, you know immediately that one of them is strawberry milkshake because of the pink shade of the drink inside the mason jar.  The other one seems like vanilla for me due to its off-white tint.  Come tasting, my order does taste like vanilla milkshake and not salted caramel.  I was expecting a certain saltiness bite into it but I didn’t get it.  I have to flag them for this.  They took my drink back and gave me a new one minutes later.  The 2nd one was way better in terms of taste and thickness. (I tasted a milkshake that is way cheaper but better than the first served to me)


The Fries and Onion Ring story
The flavor of their French fries was there, the texture was not.  It was not soggy.  It was hard.  But come the onion ring, which is more delicate, it was perfect.  Definitely the fryer is not the issue here.  I heard they are looking into changing potato suppliers.  (So the potato is the one to blame.)

The Umami Corn story
Corn kernels with seaweed flakes and it comes with a serving of dried flakes of something and a mayo of a sort, not mixed together, simply served.
I still don’t get it.
(If it was not supposedly served that way then the staff could have offered their service of mixing everything together upon serving.)


The Burger story
The beauty of this joint is that all the burgers are described on the menu based on what is in it.  There is no reason for you to assume differently.  When I ordered for The Hangover it was simply due to one ingredient that I love the most when it comes to burger creations – the egg.  People have different understanding when it comes to the term fried egg – it could be sunny side-up, scrambled or your based beaten egg minus the other ingredients making it an omelet.  Even on the concept of sunny side-up, people have preferences: runny yolk-cooked white, cooked white and yolk, half cooked yolk-crispy edge but not burned bottom, and too many to mention.  I asked it the yolk is cooked or runny (in the vernacular: luto ba yung dilaw o malasado?) and the staff answered that it was runny (malasado).  I asked again to be sure and I was assured that it was runny, so was expecting a runny yolk.  When it was served, I saw the bacon, the patty, the fries and a sunny side-up egg with a half-cooked yolk making it not runny.  A big disappointment! 

You know the feeling of asking it to be redone the way it was said but at the same time thinking of the cost it will entail unto the business owners?  That was what I was feeling then.  My business owner side won forgetting the customer in me.  Did I enjoy it?  I tasted the sweet glazed.  I find the bacon cuts nice.  The fries still has the same texture challenge (what do you expect, it was the same day), the bread was good for it took all the still possible yolk into its dough.  I found the logic as to why it has that name.  Did I enjoy it? No.  I miss the runny yolk that was supposed to run between those fries, bacon and mix with the meat patty.  That runny yolk that may slip into your fingers as you eat your burger, I missed that.  That was when the joy of eating stepped out of the door.

The Hangover

Will I go back?  I may since they claim that they are still at their soft-opening stage.  They may have made improvements; that I still have to see.  My experience may not be perfect but you may find the place and what they offer to your liking.  Visit Burger Geek at the Molito area in Alabang, Muntinlupa City.   

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento