Lunes, Setyembre 30, 2019

FOOD THOUGHTS: Sha Tin Courtyard Chinese Bistro


I am proud to have Chinese ancestry from my mother’s side.  I may be 1/3 Chinese only, but my palate and mind is definitely tuned in the intricacies of Chinese food art.  I am proud to present to you  Sha Tin Courtyard Chinese Bistro.


Located along Sto. Domingo Ave and Del Monte Ave, yes it is a crossroad  area; just across Sienna College QC, you definitely will not miss this two-story eating establishment.  With ample parking area, finding a spot for your car is not a challenge.  From the façade alone, you are sure that you came to a real, honest-to-goodness, Chinese restaurant.  With a round frame front door, it already tells you a story on how your food experience shall be – a complete circle of visual and palate experience that you will never forget for some time.  May it be a simple lunch or dinner to a celebration of an event, Sha Tin Courtyard is sure to deliver a spread of palate delight to all ages.

The experience
It was quite wonderful!

If that liner is enough to describe and make you comprehend my experience of the place then I will stop here BUT I know it is not enough so let me tell you why.


What I was just expecting was a few dishes to be tasted but what was presented was a 30 course meal with 6 types of drinks not counting the tea that is always made available to those who would ask.  Yes, 30 dishes – 10 of their dimsum line, 2 rice dishes, 4 seafood dishes, 11 from their meat dishes line including their specialty which is pigeon and 3 appetizer-dessert dish.  With this type of spread, the technique is to pace your eating and simply take what you can without over indulging;  though I need to change plate. Was I able to taste all?  Yes on all that the meat dishes.  To those with shrimps no.  I don’t want to be rushed to the hospital despite the fact that there is a Watson Drugstore just across the street.  Yes, I have an allergic reaction to crustaceans. 

Here are my favorites in no particular order (Yes, this is my beaucon mode):

Sizzling Stuffed Pan Fried Tofu
Hot Pot Beef Brisket
Fried Intestine
Scallop Tofu
Fresh Shrimp Ball with Water Cress * (Yes I tried it)
Seamoss Soup
Pipa Duck
Fookien Rice
Fried Setzuan Dumpling
Malay Ko
The two versions of radish cake
Fish Fillet Mango Sauce
Mango Crepe
** one I forgot the name but you will see it later in the pics with a caption underneath
15 dishes out of 30 became palate catchers for me.  Not bad!  To think I didn’t took a bite of those dishes with shrimps except for one.


How about the house specialty? The pigeon?

It was good in terms of flavor but since it is a small bird, the meat is also small thus you really have to pick it clean. Right down the bones so to speak.  I think it is best be eaten with friends and family and not with strangers. J

All the dishes were presented in the way it should be, with style.  The steamed dimsums were in a box type steamer case instead of the common round bamboo steamer cases.  The meat dishes were served on plates that are not only decorated but also denoting a feast is served.  Each plate served is used in its full potential by holding the dish and the decorations (carved vegetables and such) in its full beauty without crowding or unnecessary empty spots.  The duck was presented beautifully!  I was hoping it to be presented as a bird in flight but still it was visually appealing and definitely mouth watering.


The fried intestine was a delight!  Alone or dipped in vinegar as they suggested, it was a dish quite interesting in terms of texture and taste.  Hands down to the two version of the radish cake!  It was both classical in texture notes but quite distinct in flavor.  Malay ko is a love for me!  This bread/cake type is a perfect companion to all the rich dishes served for it help erase the last flavor in your palate making it ready for more dishes to taste.  The fookien rice comes with sauce that makes it a meal by itself!  With vegetable bits and meat + the sauce makes it one topper when it comes to having your fill.  Scallop is wonderful. Tofu is a delight. Together, they are a wonder.  Such was the case of Sha Tin’s Scallop Tofu.  It was silky smooth in texture with a rich sauce served hot making it a real palate stopper for me.  If there are food ingredients that I truly love, then that would be tofu and mangoes and they (the bistro), served it that day in spades!  I love the mango crepe!  From the soft yet sturdy mango cream flan center to the orange colored crepe to its dusting of coconut meat, it is a sure winner for me!  (I have the feeling  that the crepe is colored by natural means – by a vegetable. For the color is so rich and natural.)


Of all the drinks presented for tasting, I strongly recommend the Carrot Shake even if I am a fan of the Guyabano Shake and Yellow/Green Mango Shake.  The Carrot Shake taste not like any vegetable shake there is.  It is refreshing and a delight to drink.  A perfect palate cleanser after all the dishes served.  You can even have the kids try it and I am sure, you won’t get your glass back.  Of all those present that day for the food review event, I am the only one who was able to try out all the cold drinks served.  The drinks served were the following:

Honey Cucumber Shake                   Yellow/Green Mango Shake
Guyabano Shake                                Matcha
HK Milk Tea                                     Carrot Shake

How about the staff?

I love them for they were attentive and know how to offer the dish being served for your convenience and ease.  They ask the one who knows the right answer when presented with a query that they are unsure of and is politely charming in their own way. And they are attentive.  Did I mention it already?  It only means that they are truly attentive for it stuck in my conscience.
                                                                               ###     ###     ###

Big or small group, private party or a simple dining experience, all has a spot in Sha Tin Courtyard.  With a second floor dining area, a private dining event may take place without compromising the common room at the ground area.  Never mind the vine decorations; it all boils down to the food served.  Food matters most and that is evident with the people going in and out of the place on the day that food review was held.

Sha Tin Courtyard – Chinese Bistro is your short trip in the whole of China via the food that they serve. J

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento