Biyernes, Mayo 24, 2019

Do I Have The Right To Do Food Reviews?


When I went into blogging one of the niches that I fit in was food, my love for food – I love eating simply put.  My love for food or eating was not enough, so I felt that I have to sharpen my ever faithful taste buds and knowledge when it comes to food.  And that is when my personal confusion hit me.


In the course of attending food events, I noticed that people that I am with would simply describe the food the simpliest way possible.  That it is delicious, period.  Some would add a line or two but it ends there, not fully explaining what works and what doesn’t in a dish.  As a writer, I believed that it is my responsibility to demystify some food charms and simply explain in its simplest form the reason as to why one food offering works and why one doesn’t.  But no matter how simple one tries it to be, food preparation is one complex art made of simple acts.

As I kept on attending some food tasting event, I am constantly teased on the way I give feedback because of the details I try to squeeze in such a short time (2 minutes or so).   Not harmful but teased nonetheless. 

My dilemma, how can you write about food when all you can say is “masarap siya”? I want to tell people the why’s behind the line “masarap siya” and not just end there.  There is more behind that phrase and it is either you ask the why or simply take it as it is, then the discussion either continue or ends.   My initial conclusion, either one knows the why or is simply lazy to share the why that s/he knows.  Knowledge is best shared not kept.  Kaya siguro hindi ako mayaman kasi bigay ako ng bigay ng ideas na pagkakakitaan ng iba.

Then my initial dilemma evolved and made a new point to ponder.  Could it be that I am being technical on food when in fact I am not a titled kitchen person aka chef?  I am a foodie.  I love food.  I am exposed to cooking and baking at a young age.  But still I am not a chef.  I am a home-cook_baker.   What right do I have to make a review on foods made by those who studied it and honed their craft with technicality and science?  So from, why others can’t say the why to self questioning of rights to comment on chef prepared dishes.  Interesting twist right?



From all this musing, I came to a conclusion that answers all.  I don’t have to be technical about how a dish is made thus demystifying it somehow but making it real for the readers.  I don’t have to compare myself on the style of others who shared their food experience.    I just have to be me!  A smoker who has active tastebuds, knows how things are cooked in theory or even has actual experience of it in the kitchen.  A home cook_baker, who enjoys reading books and analyzes how things are done in my mind.  An individual with an inquisitive, analytical mind that allows me to do flavor play before I get to do it live or understand the connection of one ingredient to the next.  A foodie who not only knows how to eat but cook and understands the complexity and simplicity of the dish and its preparation.  I am simply me.


True, I am a homecook-baker without any formal training in the kitchen under the eyes and guidance of those trained by known or even celebrity chefs but I know my food and the reason as to why I am trying out your creation is because I am a customer- part of the buying public.  My take on your food may fall on a small demographic (not common) but I still have a buying power and there are others like me out there.


So, do I have the right to do a food review?  My answer is yes.  To avoid all technicalities placed on a reviewer’s stand, instead of food review I will call it my food thoughts.  My thoughts on the how’s and why a food is great or why it should be revamped.  That is my stand as a blogger, foodie, home cook-baker and a customer.   

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento